Monday, August 21, 2017

Pineapple Potluck: Your Invitation to the Table

-Susan Hitt

Last February when I first decided to create this blog, I spent much longer than I’d rather admit trying to come up with the perfect name. My favorite contender was Pineapple Potluck, but I found over and over I had to explain the name to people. I couldn’t have a blog with a name no one understood, so back to the drawing board I went and finally landed on Education Celebration. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the name Education Celebration because to me it symbolizes all that I want this blog to be--a place to celebrate all that you as educators are doing in your classrooms.


But Pineapple Potluck. I just can’t seem to move on from that. Have you figured it out yet? The meaning behind it? If you haven’t, let me explain. You see, pineapples are the universal symbol for welcoming people. And if you’ve ever been to a potluck dinner, you know it’s where all invited bring something different to the table, and generally what they choose to bring is their best dish to showcase their cooking talent. A dish for which everyone begs for the recipe. That secret ingredient.



So in my mind, Pineapple Potluck summed up the perfect feeling for what I wanted this blog to offer. A welcoming platform for teachers to showcase their very best lessons, ideas, practices, etc. Their secret recipes for others to try in their own classrooms.


As the school year kicks off, I encourage you to identify your best practices, that dish you’d showcase at a potluck, and share it.  Share it with your grade level cluster, with your department, your school, and, yes, I’d love for you to reach out and share it on this blog.  Even if you aren’t willing to share here-- yet-- I encourage you to subscribe to this blog. Each week will feature a new post from a different colleague of yours throughout the district.


And while this blog may always be known as Education Celebration, in my heart, it’ll be Pineapple Potluck.  So consider this your official invitation to join us at the potluck table weekly, to gather and share ideas and inspiration. I also invite you to think of the blog’s comment section as your dinner table dialogue with the host. Come, engage, and spread the invitation to all who might want to join!

Do you have an idea for a blog post? Please contact Susan Hitt.


No comments:

Post a Comment