Monday, September 18, 2017

5 Google Classroom Tips to Help You Work Smarter

Delia is a High School English teacher at Hoggard High School. This post first appeared on her blog rELAtable.

When I first set up my Google Classroom, I wasn't sure how I would incorporate this new tech tool into my teaching repertoire. I am not a fan of using technology simply for the novelty of it, so I hesitated to use Google Classroom until I learned how it could help my students and me. Over the past school year, I was able to experiment with this blended learning platform, and I was always impressed by how it made my life easier and made learning more accessible for my students. Here are 5 things I learned:


1. Assign work digitally
This sounds obvious, but it wasn't until this year that I realized Google Classroom provides a "Make a copy for each student" option for assignments. This means that you can upload any template, and Google will make a copy of the template so each individual in your class can complete the worksheet without having to make a copy themselves. Don't worry, there's no need to reinvent the wheel because teachers are sharing their templates online. Click here for 15 free graphic organizers from Matt Miller's Ditch that Textbook. (a few are shown below)


2. Facilitate an online discussion
With the "Create Question" feature, you can have students answer a question and respond to each other. I usually ask students to respectfully respond to a peer they disagree with to help build counterargument skills. As with all Google Classroom assignments, you can select certain students to answer the question. I like to break my students into smaller groups, so it's easier to follow threads. As an added bonus, students put forth more effort when they know their peers will be reading their work.

3. Upload class notes
If you've written notes in class that you want your students to have access to, take a picture and upload it to Google Classroom. I'll do this if my students did an activity that required them to write on posters in groups. This works as a reference for all students but is especially helpful for students who missed class.

4. Create a self-grading quiz with Google Forms
Google Forms provides a quiz option that will grade results for you. Google Forms will provide basic data for you, but the Google Chrome add-on Flubaroo can provide more detailed statistics. Although helpful, Flubaroo is not necessary for grading Google Forms.

5. Differentiate
When creating an assignment or asking a question, you can uncheck "All students" and individually check off the students you want to receive the assignment. That means you can upload different materials for different students, allowing you to differentiate appropriately.  -Delia Herman, Hoggard HS

What are your experiences with Google Classroom? Have you found this to be a useful classroom platform? Do you have a helpful tip to add or a helpful online resource for those starting out with Google Classroom? Please share in the comment section below! 

2 comments:

  1. Did not know about the check individual students option - that will be helpful when I put two similar classes in the same Google classroom but want to vary assignments!

    ReplyDelete