Monday, December 11, 2017

Four Reasons to Try Actively Learn

-by Hannan Moon, Laney HS
@MrsHanMoon

In my last blog post, I mentioned a college professor who always encouraged teachers to keep students engaged and learning outside of the 4 classroom walls. In an effort to keep the learning alive after class hours, I’ve been searching for programs and activities that are easily accessible to students, easily manipulated by me, and easily gradable. The latest program that I’m using is Actively Learn. This program meets all my criteria: easy for me, easy for students, and keeps the learning outside of class.


In a nutshell, Actively Learn is a free reading comprehension program. Teachers can choose from a bank of texts with pre-made questions (tied to Common Core standards) or teachers can upload their own articles and create their own questions. Then these texts are assigned to classes within the program.


Here’s why I love it:

1. The bank of texts is not only thorough and interesting, I can choose a piece based on Lexile level, page count, and grade level.

2. The questions are tied to the Common Core. If I choose to add my own questions, I simply assign a standard to my question from a drop-down menu.  


3. The grading is easy. Each question is tied to a rubric and all I have to do is select whether the response is zero, incomplete, basic, proficient, or advanced. Then, the program gives me a score.


4. The program is extremely user-friendly. After the first use in class, my students know how to manipulate Actively Learn and there have been no problems.


To keep the learning going outside my 4 classroom walls, I’ve assigned Actively Learn articles as homework. I can upload nonfiction articles based on the novels we are reading. Or, I choose related pieces from their bank of texts. Then, the next day, we not only analyze the text, but the students have a grade and we both know what standard they are struggling with. I’ve also assigned Actively Learn as extra credit for struggling students--the more they are reading outside of the classroom, the better! Actively Learn has helped me assign readings in my classroom, and, by being able to choose the pieces based on my specific class dynamic, I can ensure success for my students.  

Check out Actively Learn here: https://www.activelylearn.com/
Also, if you're in New Hanover County, did you know you can earn CEUs for using Actively Learn? Check out our BeAwesome program by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment