Monday, March 27, 2017

The Magic of Blended Learning: Part I


-by Emily Perez, Laney HS

Earlier this year, I attended a professional development session on teacher leadership where the presenter asked us, “What is your why?” For most people (myself included), the answer was easy - the students. The kids, the young minds, the myriad of personalities that walk through our door each day, each hour. But I realized that my true “why” is more than just the students and their vivacious, complex personalities. My “why”, my “aha moment” (as my college professor used to say) is the moment I get to watch my students help each other, teach each other. Naturally, I am always looking for lessons that enforce my “why”, which is how I became a true advocate for blended learning stations in the secondary ELA classroom.  


I first witnessed the magic of blended learning in Xan Mays’ team-taught 9th grade English class during a peer observation at Hoggard High School. My initial reaction - they must be engaged because she got blessed with a “good class.” But they were just typical high school students, much like the ones I see everyday at Laney. So the magic wasn’t in the students, it was in the lesson. And blended learning really doesn’t take much more effort than any other successful lesson (it takes a substantial amount of preparation and organization and a little bit of faith and creativity); but it gets students up and moving, on-task talking, and problem-solving with their peers, which can be difficult or nonexistent when students are stuck within the rows of desks.

"So the magic wasn’t in the students, it was in the lesson...[blended learning] gets students up and moving, on-task talking, & problem-solving with their peers, which can be difficult or nonexistent when students are stuck within the rows of desks."

Since that observation, I have facilitated blended learning lessons in various English classes at Laney (team-taught English II classes reviewing African literature, Honors English III classes spicing up the usually tedious and mundane introduction to the research process, and even first day of school stations with syllabus scavenger hunts and American Dream anticipation guides). Each class was successful, certainly not perfect, but the students stayed energized, and wasn’t that the goal? To create engaging and memorable lessons that foster student collaboration and accountability? (Cue warm, fuzzy “aha moment” here.) Additionally, I had more “free time” during the class period to assess and assist students who might need more help, and I was able to develop a rapport early on with the students who might not have spoken to me freely until the end of the semester.

"I had more “free time” during the class period to assess and assist students who might need more help, and I was able to develop a rapport early on with the students who might not have spoken to me freely until the end of the semester."

Lastly, the students love it. When I asked my juniors what they thought of the stations on the first day, one said that “it was refreshing to be able to move around and talk rather than just sit in our desks,” while another agreed, stating, “this was the only class today where I got to talk to my friends and not look at a boring PowerPoint.” One student “already knew a lot of people in class” but said, “it was cool getting to meet and talk to new people, too.” Other students’ responses were more tepid, but even the statement, “it was okay, but yeah, I’d like to do it again” was enough of a reason, enough of a “why” for me to accept that challenge, tackle that request, and start the process all over again.
- Emily Perez, Laney High School

Have you ever tried blended learning/stations with your students? Do you have a great lesson that works well for stations? Have you always been hesitant to jump in and try stations? I'd love for you to share your thoughts below in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment